From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:12:20 -0700
After my story about Odie and the close encounter with the owl, Mr. David
Doyle was kind enough to admonish me gently about not being too sure of the
safety of my ferrets just because they are on a leash.  He stated that even
though birds of prey are generally afraid of humans, they can be very bold
when hungry.  I appreciate his comments, and Lord forbid I should ever be
naive or careless with my babies.  I was reminded of an article I read from
the Anchorage, Alaska, daily newspaper.  It stated that in the town of
Valdez where bald eagles are common and quite fearless of people, one
swooped down and nabbed a chihuahua as it froliced around it's owner's (a
tourist) feet.  The poor distraught woman was quoted as asking if that was
normal behavior for the bird!