From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 08:32:14 -0500
I don't have the Kansas address for the rabies shedding study, but expect
that Bill, Troy-Lynn, Pam, or another can post it.  The methods for
donations to specific animals or specific studies (which are roughly
followed -- and for a good reason: to make sure that more monies go to help
animals rather than more staff -- by the Morris Animal Foundation) are as
follows: a general donation may be in any amount, donations for a specific
species are to be at least $100, cosponsorship of a specific study (which
includes progress reports, site visits and more) begin at $2,500, and full
sponsorships usually run $3,000 to $16,000 per project (and include
privileged information about the study).  That said there are two other
things you should know: if you are an on-giving donor who has already given
at least $100 that donation year they are gentler about the rules if you
later give a smaller amount in memory of someone's pet or in a similar
situation, and there are only two ferret studies being done this year
(amount of studies is determined to a great extent by the level of support
given for that species): the latest rabies virus shedding study, and a
Colorado State reproduction study which I have no information about other
than that the veterinary advisory board highly recommended it.  We usually
specify certain amounts each year for the rabies shedding studies and for
"other ferret health studies".  This year with unavoidably high vet bills
for Meltie and our sweet late Ruffie, a niece in college and one soon to
attend in two years, and 5 major appliances progressing beyond repair we
have been forced to give less than normal and feel quite lousy about it.
Their address is: Morris Animal Foundation, 45 Inverness Drive East,
Englewood, CO 80112-5480.  We have always found them to be an extremely
responsible organization.

Bill K. said that he had not run into clear alphas.  Our current crew is the
first in which we have had anything BUT that situation.  What we have now is
one in which 'Chopper (the organic helicopter) is the more dominant but
misses some things due to limitations in her hearing so Meeteetse is pretty
much her Number One with a good deal of responsibility.  Spot LOVES having
no management tasks,and Warp fits somewhere above him most of the time.  Our
alphas have always been female, and when they get used to the task they have
always matured to be gentle with the position -- Fritter used to lightly
punch the others in the nose with a paw, Meltdown was inclined to stick her
head under a transgressor's belly and rapidly lift it to flip the ferret
onto its back.  Little-Pain-in-the-Butt (which 'Chopper lays claim to as one
of her private nicknames) and The Fly (Meeteetse -- Take off the Mee and you
will see why she is called this) are not as good at it but they'll grow into
their roles.  We have no experience with alpha males but have been told by
some who have had both that their males are usually not as gentle as the
females when they rule.

Re: ferret songs: There is a LONG history of ferret songs here, and Barbara
Carlson (a wonderful lady with a superb voice who has been here a very long
time) performs some beautifully at filk (as opposed to folk) song shows.

Sent something on cardiomyopathy to Pam Grant, Bill G., and Bruce W. Hope
it got there okay and meets expectations reasonably.  Still having problems
with mail.

THANKS for the great subject line, Bill.  Both better now and Steve
thanking me.

- Meltdown (who is going to be 8 the first week in October -- and whose
presence is a reminder that even a malignant adrenal, if removed early, can
be survived long term, even years in her case -- and that cardiomyopathy
does not prevent an old lady from thriving nicely, thank you),
- 'Chopper (for whom the greatest sport is kissing), Spot (who also likes to
remain still so no one will see him -- as in albino recumbent on black bed
spread),
- Meeteetse (the ultimate beggar and world class klutz), and
- Warp (known for being the only ferret that Chuck Yeager considered too
fast to fly on, and for whom we fill the shower with snow to tunnel each
Winter),
- Steve (how I got lucky enough to have him remains a mystery),
- and your faithful correspondent, Sukie