Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 00:48:51 -0400
Sorry it took so long to get back with you on this...

Maxwell went into surgery early Monday morning.  Dr. Klein said he came out
of the anasthesia quickly afterwards, head up and looking around, ready to
know what was going on.

During the surgery, she found one small, suspicious spot on Wellsley's
pancreas which she sent to path.  She also checked everything else -
kidneys, bladder, liver, etc.  and said everything looked really good.  She
did pay special attention to the GI tract (he'd been vomiting clear liquid
froth - which is why he went to the vet in the first place - but that's not
a standard symptom of insulinoma.) Bingo - a solid hairball the size of my
thumb, lodged in his stomach!

The path report came back early Tuesday afternoon, positive for insulinoma;
prognosis "Fair to Guarded." Dr. K is recommending we monitor Wellsley's
blood glucose on a regular basis to make sure we catch anything which may
develop in the future.

Apparently, no one in Maxwell's past knew that ferrets could get
hairballs.... Dr. Klein is going to save the hairball to show other ferret
owners why the critters need to be on a good hairball preventive.  It's a
wonder it never caused a blockage during the two months I've had him.  I
believe it was a little miracle, just for Wellsley's benefit.  If it weren't
for the hairball, he wouldn't have been heaving on Thursday - if he hadn't
been heaving, I wouldn't have had him in the clinic that evening when he
"spaced out" and went limp during the exam - which caused Dr.K to test his
glucose - which led to the treatment that will extend his life in reasonable
comfort for whatever time is possible... Hairballs can be deadly in
themselves, but ironically, I find myself in the position of being
"thankful" for this one.  If he hadn't had the hairball, the insulinoma
could have possibly progressed further before it was detected, and his
chances could have been even less.  Apparently, we caught this REALLY early.

He's recovering well, and we all would like to say a public "Thank You Very
Much!" to Dr. Curro ([log in to unmask]), to Dr. Williams for his personal
answer to our questions, and to everyone who offered prayers and warm
thoughts on Wellsley's behalf.  (in addition to writing back personally to
each, also.)

Now, I just need to contact FAIR - Trish (Ferrets1st) told me they have some
excellent recipes for feeding ferrets with insulinoma.

Carla S
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club