From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:22:30 -0700
>I'm sure that birds of prey would readily grab a ferret, but as long as
>there is a human being "attached", the ferret is probably quite safe.

Be cautious around raptors (birds of prey)!  If they are hungry, they can be
bold, but generally they are very afraid of humans.  But unattended, they
will take small mammals in a heartbeat!  Great-horned owls are notorious for
taking skunks (they can't smell very well, so the spray doesn't affect them)
and small dogs!  I have worked with barn owls, and they are quite small,
only 2' tall, and usually take mice and voles...honestly a 2-3 lb.  ferret
is quite a large conquest for a barn owl, but who knows...like I said, they
can get very hungry!  Definitely be cautious of larger owls, hawks, and
eagles!  Ferrets taken outdoors should always be on a leash anyway, so you
can maintain complete control of him/her if trouble arises (dog, cars, birds
of prey, etc.)

David Doyle
Wildlife Ecologist
Humboldt State University