From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:57:09 -0700
[Doug writes about his pair of ferrets that dig up carpets and seem like
they need another co-conspirator]

Hi Doug,

There is this plastic carpet protector stuff that they sell in hardware
stores.  I've heard it called "Carpet Runner." I got a few feet of that and
carefully cut it to fit in the doorways and haven't had a problem since
(even with five determined diggers).  My friend Todd uses small-mesh
chickenwire over the carpet which seems to work fine too.  For discipline in
general (hah!), you can use the firm, loud, "No!" followed by scruffing and
a couple of minute time-out in a cage.

If you are going to get another ferret, let your current ones do the
choosing if possible.  Todd took Seldon to a shelter, where he was allowed
to run with 8-12 other ferrets.  One of the ferrets there took a liking to
Seldon (followed him all over, actually), so that's the one that went home
with him.  They've been good friends ever since Seldon got used to the new
one.  It took a week or so.

Oh, this was on the West Coast, where ECE wasn't a problem at the time--you
might want to make sure your ferrets and the ferrets they are meeting are
either all exposed to ECE or preferably, all not exposed to ECE.

Happy Ferreting!
Dennis