Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 12:03:19 -0700
From:
>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mo' Bob Silliness
>Ferrets are basically domesticated polecats, and originated in the cool and
>wet northern latitudes, while mongeese tend to stick to the more dry and
>warm southern latitudes (generally speaking).

In my typical manner of making life hard on you.  I agree ferrets seem to be
only domesticated polecats especially cool climate ones.  But what about
striped zorillas, striped polecats, and North African Striped Polecat.
These are the suckers that most remind of of 'Murrican Polekitties (skunks).

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Food, Brits, H-bactor
>Hello all, I was kind of confused about the Eukanba food.  I've seen the
>brand for sale but is it an Iams product?  Is it the upgraded line or
>something?

Yes.  Exactly.  Since we like Iam's Cat and Kitten for the ferrets and
cats, and we like Eukanuba for the puppies we expect to like Eukanuba
Cat/Kitten for the ferrets and cats.

>[Moderator's note: I think Vickie's number above should be 703-777-2112.

Uh ...  Ooops.  not enough pounds on the 7...  Thanks BIG.

>From:   Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>

Opinions on the suitability of Science Diet kibbled are just opinions.  It
is a good food.  Lets not get too silly about this but you corrected Pam
mentioning the method of weaning kits we sort of developed using canned food
as a base for mush and thought she meant kibble.  There is no one perfect
food for ferrets, though the most agreed upon is Totally Ferret, and beyond
that everyone has their own opinions.  Some ferrets do better on some foods
than others.  Make an informed decision about foods using the parameters
that are uniquely your own.  We like Iams.  Other local breeders like
Pro-Plan.  Still others have their own choices.

But thanks for the update on the GLFA show, I've forwarded it on to the
AFA to update their pages.

>From:    Adrienne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Willie, Rodents, Salt, and Dancing Songs

Ferrets don't normally get colds but do get flus (as I understand it) but
there could be other answers.  Where does he sleep?  Some ferrets sleep in
their litter boxes - odd but they are ferrets - and if they are clay they
could be dusty.

>From:    Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Big Bad Tunk
>I tell you -- this ferret has above average agression.  Is there an army for
>ferrets (and I don't mean FLO.  I don't want him to get smarter, he just
>needs some discipline)?

Put him in with the mink...  That ought to show him...  <just kidding of
course>

>From:    Anna G Ralya <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccination screwup, now what? =(

Well actually in talking with Dr. Curlle from United Vaccines it isn't a
clear cut answer.  The regimen calls for 3 at 8, 11 and 14 weeks.  The last
being important to be after 14 weeks of age.  The first sometimes conflicts
with immunities passed from Mama.  The second two are the ones that carry
them for the year.  The first is necessary because sometimes the Mama's
immunities don't last them until theyare 11 weeks old.  So if your ferrets
got 11 and 14 weeks shots they should be fine.  Not meaning to offend but we
don't trust pet stores to know for sure what shots have been given all the
time.  We treat pet store ferrets as unknown vaccination histories and try
to give two shots about a month apart regardless (not that we get that many
shelter ferrets that young).  What you might do in this case is "ignore the
history" and start with two shots a month apart and then KNOW you are on
regimen.  Of course that is just our opinion which is certainly not going to
mesh with everyone elses.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/