From:
Michelle Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 10:32:13 -0600
>From:    "March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Release of Adult Black-footed Ferret
>Quite good, very detailed.  Minor point: you described the Wolverine as the
>largest Mustelidae.  Don't they top out at around 80lbs or a tad over,
>average closer to 60lbs, while the Brazillian Giant River Otter is closer
>to 150lbs?

Although we haven't been able to document this (well, haven't tried a lot
yet lately -- other things to keep us busy) someone on a mailing list that
Kirk reads mentioned there is a theory that polar bears may not actually
be true bears, but rather very, very large mustelids.  And if you look at
them, they do sort of look like it -- albeit with longer than normal legs.
Dunno if it's true or not, but how's THAT for a large cousin? :)

>From:    "M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Which Iams Formula? & Zucchini
>I've heard that Iams cat food is just as healthy, so I will use that for my
>fuzzie.  Only one problem -- which formula?

The nutritional information on Iams is usually printed up near the top on
the sides of the bag, hidden in the folds a big.  The purple bag is kitten,
the orange plain cat, the *thinks* tan is the lamb and rice, and I don't
know what color the seafood one is.  The kitten food runs 34% protein and
22% fat.  The cat or lamb and rice runs 32% protein and 20%, I believe (this
is off the top of my head).  Obviously, the kitten food is a better choice
for younger (under three) ferrets or nursing jills, the cat or lamb and rice
better for older ferrets.

Personally, Kirk and I mix 1/3 Iams Kitten (which is a chicken and corn
base), 1/3 Iams Lamb and Rice, and 1/3 ProPlan Turkey and Barley.  This
gives a mix of protein and fat levels for our various aged kids, and they
like the mix of flavors.  One day someone will be picking out all the turkey
pieces, while someone else is picking out all the lamb or chicken ones.  :)
Everyone likes a little variety, I guess.

Michelle
Flutist

--
Meet my pets.  The ferrets (Taz, Coffee, Daphne, Tia, Gretchen, and
Beelzebub), the gerbils (34 of them), the rats (seven of them), the budgies