Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 08:41:04 -0400
Marshall blood line intro..

Since Dr. Bell is no longer working at Marshall Farms, I suppose I can
release her as a former source of information.  About four years ago now
(1992) there were some English polecat colored ferrets (sables) introduced
to the Marshall lines.  I don't think there were more than 6 animals, so
this intro. was minimal at best.  When I asked Peter Reid (general manager -
VP) about new bloodline intro., he is emphatically saying NO!  Mr. Reid
did tell me about a third dot tattoo on MF ferrets which was added in 1995,
but I have rarely been able to find them due to where it is placed on the
ferret.  If you have a mitt or white ferret born since 1/1/95, you might be
able to find the dot on the toe.  The toe differs depending on which tech
did the neutering/descenting operation.  I have a feeling many techs are not
putting the extra dot on, because I really have a tough time finding them
when I know it is a MF ferret born in the last 1.5 years.

Personal observations on the size and shape of some of the newer MF ferrets
does indicate to me that there has been some new lines added, but as to
whether they were enough to boost longevity or health related problems, is
still out.  I have noticed that many MF ferrets are coming down with adrenal
disease as early as two years of age now, and this really scares me.

>Bite on the toe

Debbie, Please get in touch with whatever ferret club(s) you have in your
state and let them know of your story.  The more documentation we can
collect on senseless deaths, t he better we can protect and provide for
future ferrets.

>Frontline

I had a ferret come into the shelter that I was picking ticks off of for
three days straight - then I applied Frontline.  No more ticks (deer tick
BTW).  The dog is on Program, and I applied Frontline in a very small amount
to my indoor/outdoor cat.  I have to say I have no fleas in the house and
the cats are not crawling up the furniture to stay off the carpet.

My vet told me that they have used Frontline on ferrets in Europe for awhile
and because of the ferret's more oily coat, it is even more effective on
ferrets than cats (one month) and dogs (up to three months).  For a shelter
who can not always control the condition of the ferret/animal coming into
the house, this product is a bargain!  Kills on contact!  Ends flea cycle
before the bite!

I have only experienced one ferret in over 1300 who had an allergic reaction
to a flea product, and this ferret got ill after a bath with pyrethrum
shampoo.  Some animals are more sensitive to chemicals than others, but I
think Frontline holds great promise to multi animal households.

BTW, again, I am looking for a foster/temporary home for two of my pet cats
and permanent homes for four of my other cats.  If you are in the DC/VA/MD
area and want flea free cats - they have all their shots and are altered.
E-mail me for ages, colors and profiles.

Pam Grant = [log in to unmask]