From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:17:53 -0700
A BUDDY FOR OLIVER - I say to Andrea, yes, get a buddy for Oliver!  It may
take a little time for them to become true buddies, but the chances are good
that they will.  Our very first ferret, Odie, was 2 years old when we
adopted Dodger, who was about 6 years old.  Odie had not seen another ferret
since he was taken from his litter at 6 weeks of age.  Odie and I were very
closely bonded - he went everywhere with me.  He did not like Dodger at
first, and "wrestled" him mercilessly.  But Dodger was a mellow guy and just
sort of accepted Odie's rejection of him, letting Odie get his way and not
really fighting back, just kind of rolling with the punches so to speak.
Eventually Odie began to let up a bit and just sort of tolerated Dodger.
Then Dodger began to attempt to play with Odie, and Odie would at first just
ignore him.  In time I would see them bedded down NEAR eachother, and I
would take advantage of Odie's sleepiness and place Dodger next to him.  At
last, after five weeks, Odie suddenly accepted Dodger, they curled up
together on their own and began to play together.  They were inseparable
friends for the rest of their way-too-short lives, 4 1/2 more years.  Then
my dear little Odie succumbed to his heart disease, and exactly a month
later poor old Dodger died from his lymphatic cancer - this having happened
nearly 2 years ago now but still gripping my heart with the devastating
loss.  As far as Odie's and my relationship was concerned after he bonded
with Dodger, it never changed.  Your ferret's love for you will not be
affected if you bring him a friend.  He will enjoy the companionship of
another ferret and will love playing with it, but he will not forget his
love for you.  Just remember that all relationships take time to develop,
and that every situation and personality will be unique, so be thoughtful
and patient.  Also, I might mention, as I have before, that I have a BUNCH
of ferrets, and although they live in happy groups and play well with
eachother, they still seem to regard us as something really special and
thrive on the attention and love that we give them.

Mitchell was concerned about his ferret developing a cataract.  I have
several with cataracts, some advanced cataracts and others fairly new.  This
condition has in no way impaired these ferrets' ability to play, explore,
investigate and have fun as usual.  They sometimes bump into things that
they didn't before, but they still run and jump and go up and down the
stairs.

To administer prednisone I cut the tablet into quarters, then crush the
quarter and mix it (or an eighth or whatever the necessary dose) with a bit
of food that the ferret likes.  (Prednisone should be given with food
anyway, and this masks the bitter taste of the medicine.) If the ferret is
not accustomed to having their chow ground up and made into a mush (and I
would recommend that ferrets become used to this in case they are ever
rehabilitating from illness and cannot or will not eat the dry chow) one can
try baby cereal (the rice seems to be very digestible, and all my ferrets
like it), add warm water and maybe a bit of Nutrical or Ferretone to entice
them to try it.  After a few licks, most ferrets enjoy this mush.  I would
gradually begin to add the ground chow to the mush for the protein and wean
them from the Nutrical or Ferretone within.  I never have to pump prednisone
into anybody's mouth, as they will all eat it readily if mixed into food
like this.  (Use only enough food to get the medicine down and coat the
stomach well, to make sure they eat it all.)

Best wishes to all - especially to all the sick babies and their worried
families,

Joanie Williams and (as of last night!) now 35!!! with the new guys Nikki
and Scotty! at Ferret Haven