From:
"Holly S. DiMeglio" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 21:04:28 -0800
Today I actually broke away from my studies and ended up at one of the local
pet stores.  I never cared much for this pet store to begin with, but today
really put me off.

They had about 4 or 5 ferrets in their cage and of course they were being
real cute and putting on a good show.  They LOVED surfing through their
litter box, which had scoopable, clumping litter in it.  Their faces were
full of the stuff.  I knew I had to talk with someone at the store about the
hazards of using this type of litter and thought I kept a pretty level head
about it.  I waited until the customers walked away from the front counter
and asked to speak with the store manager.  I informed him that because of
the properties of clumping litter and its ability to expand when wet, that
it was not a real good choice to use with ferrets because it can cause
intestinal blockages.  He said that their vet recommended that they use it.
I asked him who his vet was.  He paused a long time and then told me it was
the Pet Stop.  The woman working at the store was interested in what I was
saying, but I think backed off because of her boss.  She added that the vet
told them to use clumping litter because Tidy Cat causes upper respiratory
problems.  I responded that finding a good litter with ferrets is difficult,
but before I could finish, the guy (manager) started saying that the place
where the ferrets are raised recommend using clumping litter also.  However,
this is the same pet store that for over 6 months now, does not seem to know
where they get their ferrets from, and I have asked at least a dozen times.
He also added that they have never had a ferret with an intestinal blockage
in their store - it would make sense, they only switched to using clumping
litter a couple of days ago according to the woman working there.

I now detest this store.  However, it is not whether I like this store or
not that matters.  I don't want to see any of these ferrets get sick.  And
I don't want customers walking away with an animal that gets sick and maybe
they don't have experience with ferrets and don't catch on to what is
happening to their new friend in time.  I don't want to get this store
manager on the defensive, but he already is from what I can tell.

I wanted to get a club going up here and I figured education would be the
biggest task, so I guess I'm getting a taste of it.  Can people please
e-mail me directly with information regarding the use of different types of
litter and the pros and cons of each type.  I would like to have a stack of
information to take in to this guy and maybe help him to understand.  I will
also be contacting the vet office that recommended the use of clumping
litter.  I am not on the war path or anything, even though I am really mad
about this.  I know that I must remain calm and consistant and with that
type of attitude I will most likely get the results I am looking for.  Thank
you in advance for your help.

On a more personal note, Tequila is doing well on the lysodren.  She has
good hair growth on all four legs and her neck and sides.  She has a few
hairs sprouting on her belly and on her tail!!!  Her vulva has shrunk
tremendously.  However, she still has a lump on her neck and that will be
taken care of on Thursday.  We are very nervous about it.  The new boy,
Oliver, has fit in well, although he has horrible bathroom habits, and has
taken ferret-proofing to a new and higher level around this place.

I haven't had any time to read the FML for 2 weeks now and I miss it very
much.  I try to keep up on my private e-mail, but even that is tough.
Nursing school is demanding all of my time and we are all suffering a bit
from it.  The pets are lonely and it breaks my heart that I don't have the
time for them like I used to, I try to make up for it in other ways.  I hope
everyone is well.

Holly