From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 13:49:31 -0400
There have been a few people on the FML here lately who have asked about
starting shelters or clubs.  They really need to be commended.  Either is a
monumental task just getting it off the ground.

Unfortunately, many clubs and shelters, started by very well meaning people
falter after a while, often on the same mistakes and oversights.  I sure
don't pretend to have all or even most of the answers for success.  I have
observed clubs and shelters and people, though, and would like to put forth
the following "Guidelines" at least for consideration:

1.  Always remember you are working for the ferrets.

[All too often, I've seen well meaning people start shelters and clubs with
this foremost in their minds, only to see them forget this basic goal in the
competition that invariably sneaks in.  People are naturally competitive.
it comes with the species.  If we fail to remember WHY we started the club
or shelter in the first place, soon we will be competing for members and/or
for recognition.  When we do this we are no longer working for the ferrets,
but for ourselves.]

2.  Encourage diversity.  Diversity is the engine that drives evolution.

[New ideas will bring about growth and progress.  Without those, we're
doomed to ultimate failure.  No one person or group will ever have all of
the "right" answers.  Pretending that "our way is the only way" leads to
stagnation and rot.  Encourage change.  Encourage differences.  Share
results and experiences.  Refrain from non-productive criticism.  Don't say
anything behind someone's back that you already haven't said to their face,
and say nothing that you wouldn't want to have someone say about you.]

3.  "Conflict is inevitable; combat is optional"

[With diversity, will come differences of opinion.  Some opinions may be
quite opposed to your own.  Just remember to keep an open mind and try to
see the other viewpoint.  Remember, it takes two people to argue, and you
will learn more by listening than by talking.]

4.  Don't be afraid to admit that you were wrong.

[You will not learn until you can admit that you do not know.  If you are
convinced that heavier than air machines are impossible, don't be afraid to
look up in the sky every now and then and ask yourself "What are those
things flying around up there?" Recognizing that flight is possible after
all, doesn't mean that you have to fly.  On the other hand, if you were one
of the ones insisting that heavier than air flight is possible, remember
that doesn't mean that every flight will successfully get off the ground.  ]

5.  Never talk against another shelter or club or member.

[If you have to tear another down, to build your own up, what you are
building you  obviously believe can not stand on it's own merits.  When you
find yourself on the receiving end of such an attack, remember, if you have
built something substantial, it will continue to stand on it's own.  If you
feel that you have to respond in kind, maybe it's time to take another look
at what you have built.]

6.  Encourage dialog with others.

[Share ideas and lessons learned.  Don't share criticism.  With people and
ideas, the sum is often greater than the sum of the parts.  The more parts,
the greater the sum of knowledge.  You don't know everything.  They don't
know everything.  If you both admit that, both of you are at least on your
way to learning more.]

7.  Always remember, you are working for the ferrets.

My $0.02 worth for the day.

Dick B