From:
Linda Stuart and RoseAnne Wiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:33:09 -0400
Hi to all. This is my first post.
The remarks in today's Digest regarding different ferret personalities
struck a personal cord.  There are always those unexpected traits that can
get a little feller in a bind.  Syvester, my first and finest, could climb.
I was afraid that, even though he enjoyed sitting on the bathroom window
sill in hot weather, the screen might give way, allowing him to tumble from
the two-story window.  Shiva, who is not athletic at all, surprised me one
day by somehow ending up in the garbage can of the room where my ferrets
spend most of their time.  Now, this can holds mostly the contents of the
litter pans...whew!  No sooner had the little darlin' had that much-needed
bath, than she climbed up on the night stand and took a flying leap at the
garbage can!  I didn't know she had it in her!  Pixel, who I adopted from a
local pet store, is a Marshall ferret.  (Possible health problems within
that group not withstanding--It had been a week since Sylvester had lost his
battle with adrenal cancer, and I was looking to fill a void.) At 9 weeks,
this child was running up the bedspread and jumping to the floor from the
cage top at a dead-run.  It has become obvious that my ferret-proofing needs
work!  Fortunately, the ferrets are genrally confined to this one room, so
the task is not as enormous as it might be.  However, I have gained new
respect for that old cliche, "Expect the unexpected."