From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:56:23 CST6CDT
Put your anger and sorrow to work in a positive way.

When someone hears about the unwarranted killing of a ferret, get all the
facts then call Dr. Rupprecht at CDC (Centers for Disease Control) (404)
639-1050.  Think about what you will say to Dr. R. before you call.  Be
polite and professional.

- Tell him, calmly and factually about the circumstances of the incident
  and the results.
- Ask if he has any information for release on Phase I of the Domestic
  Ferret Shedding Study.
- Ask him to send it to you and you can forward it on, that way you will
  have a copy. (please send a copy to FFS too so we'll have them on file)
- Ask him when the results of the shedding study will be published and if
  there is any way to get it published sooner.

The more people that contact him and ask these questions, the better
response we'll get.  He needs to know about all these unwarranted killings.
When I spoke to him about gathering the data on the number of ferrets killed
and tested in all states, he said he would be very interested in the data.
Which reminds me, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL STATE HEALTH DEPT FOR STATS ON
NUMBER OF FERRETS KILLED AND TESTED AND RESULTS FROM 1980-1995 (or longer)
IN WRITING, then mail a copy of what you receive to FFS, PO Box 186,
Manhattan, KS 66505-0186.  I've only received the data from Bill Williamson,
MA (thanks Bill!) so far.  Once I've compiled the data I will send it to Dr.
Rupprecht.

Hugs to all. tle (aka Sprite)