Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:42:47 -0400
When our ferrets got their rabies shots in May, I noticed that the computer-
generated vaccination certificates we were given listed the vaccine
manufacturer as Ft. Dodge.  I knew they had been vaccinated with Imrab; I
had just seen the little vials myself.  When I pointed out this discrepancy
to the receptionist, she said Ft. Dodge is entered in the computer because
that's the type they use for cats and dogs.  She put each of our
certificates in her typewriter and typed the correct information on them.
Since most veterinarians probably deal mainly with cats and dogs, mistakes
like this on the rabies certificates might be common.

I have always thought that the main purpose of these certificates was not to
protect my ferrets from public health officials (which in so many cases
seems impossible) but to convince a hypothetical "bite victim" that there is
no need to go to a doctor or report the incident.

I have also noticed that receptionists often sign these certificates with
the veterinarian's name.  Does anyone know if this would make any difference
with public health officials?  So many of them don't care whether or not the
ferret is vaccinated, but in states that are adopting quarantine laws, or
with public health officials who actually *do* risk assessment, would the
veterinarian's genuine signature on the certificate make any difference?

Clare Sebok