From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 17:55:34 +0100
Fritz, Kurt, Inga, Bumper, Deanna Troi, Max, Dax, McCoy, Daniel, Treacle,
Bill, Ben, Lily, Cameron and today's 'rescue' Stumpy raised the question
"What's a Euro ferret, mum? We're British!!"

Bob Rudich wrote:-
>Another question for you is since the Euro ferrets are so disease free,
>what do they die of?

After making a few phone calls I got some answers for you: They get shot!
they get chopped in half with spades!  Sorry I'm sinking to your level of
sarcasm and we all know it is the lowest form of wit!

OK let's be serious - I was attempting to raise some valid questions re why
do ferrets get the illnesses they suffer from and get a sensible debate
going and seeing that you seem to object to the light hearted articles in
the FML I would have thought that you would have jumped at the chance !!!
(Quite frankly I enjoy the crazy, zany touch of the 'ferret wedding' - it
helps to control the depression and sadness after reading about little
ferrets such as Foggy - as a psychologist you should be able to appreciate
that!  A psychologist friend of mine keeps ferrets because they relieve her
of the tensions of the job!) *British* ferrets do get cancer, about 45% in
the 6 years + group.  Some get AD, mainly down in the south of England -
many thanks to the mink for this!  Some get TB, tetanus, cardiomyopathy, and
most of the other common ferret ailments.  Some even die of old age at
around 14.  British ferrets as far as I can ascertain do not go in for
Adrenal Disease - one shelter I spoke to this morning had a suspected case,
1 case out of 100 ferrets.  another shelter has a ferret undergoing tests
for Adrenal Disease - one out of approx.  300 ferrets.  I'll say it again.
does early neutering have any bearing on Adrenal Disease?  Can we please get
some sensible replies perhaps Bob Church would like to comment?  (BTW I
enjoy reading your postings BC.) Most British ferrets are neutered around 6
to 8 months or later.

>What does a jill do if separated from her kits at say 6 weeks?

Most nursing mothers like to get away from their kits for a little while
maybe 10 minutes or so but they are appear to be rather edgy until they get
their family back in sight.  A kit is weaned at 6 to 8 weeks - how about
making sure that the kit is really strong, sturdy and old enough to have
its' distemper jabs before adopting it.  Of course, one thing I did forget
was that a heck of a lot of ferrets are bred in 'factory conditions' and
probably do not get the stimulation and attention they would get from the
breeder with just a couple of jills!  I suppose shooting the babies out into
the wide world at 6 weeks does increase the profit margin!  Instead of
cradle snatching how about obtaining ferrets from a shelter?  I did have 15
ferrets when I woke up this morning but the family has increased with the
addition of Stumpy a young albino hob, possibly last years kit from the look
of his teeth, a phone call from an anxious, caring lady who had found a
ferret and was reluctant to release it into 'the wild' sent my SO and myself
dashing across Bolton to collect the lad.  Paw Paw don't let spoil sports
upset the 'wedding plans' - thanks for the comic touch, let's face it you
have to be slightly mad to have ferrets!  It's strange how some people
object to 'ferret speak'.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS