From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:55:13 -0400
Hi All:

(1) I'm worried about 3 of my guys, & hope someone has some advice!  In the
last couple weeks 3 recently acquired male shelter ferrets (who seemed fine
when they came in) have lost a lot of weight (I can feel bones!).  Two of
them are 3 yrs.  old & 1 is 4 yrs.  old.  They're less as active than usual
& sleeping more, but otherwise fine.  I know weight loss is normal for
spring, but it seems a little late & I'm worried that they'll just waste
away!  BTW: I'm feeding them a combination of Marshall's, Totally Ferret &
Iams Kitten.

(2) Yesterday I got a call from an owner whose ferret has had
pinkish-orangey skin with dry scaley patches & some thinning of hair from
top of head down to shoulders x 2-3 weeks.  The ferret is about 3 years old,
is being treated for ear mites, & was just started on antibiotics for a gum
infection (yesterday).  He doesn't have fleas.  The owner said he remembered
something like this last year, but it cleared up on it's own.  I wonder if
it's some sort of bacterial or fungal infection (esp since his 2nd ferret
has started developing symptoms) A vet (not a ferret vet) suggested it might
be mange, but it didn't sound like it to me.  Suggestions?  And if it's
bacterial or fungal, what type of bactericidal shampoo is safe for ferrets?

Thanks in advance!

Karen
(Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue)