From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:05:03 -0400
First I wish to publicly thank three very special people - Troy Lynn Eckart
for her donation to my rescue; Karen Trask for the medical supplies that she
has sent; and Toni Cantley for her donation in Hope's memory.  The three of
you are very special people to whom I hold in highest regard.

This will be my last post of MF to the FML.  It seems to be degrading from
an honest debate to finger-pointing and name-calling.  I will not be a part
of that.  I first posted the information in regards to MF so that more
people will become aware of some of their practices and be cautious.  If
more information about MF is wanted, personally e-mail me and I will send
you the information, articles and USDA report.  I do not consider them to be
the "great Satan", only a company thats bottom line is the almighty dollar.
A corporation that considers an animal as an asset rather than as a pet and
companion is not someone that I can toss my hat behind and endorse.  I DO
NOT SUPPORT LIES.  I also do not support half-truths or lies of omission.

The reference to political agendas and rival factions makes me think we are
talking about guerrilla war - not ferrets - and confuses me.  I am a member
of many organizations, the AFA, LIFE and STAR.  No one in these organizations
has influenced my opinions of anyone or anything.  You have stated that you
know my sources - so, you know the USDA?  You know the Humane society of
Rochester & Monroe Counties?  Who else are you talking about????  If the
same information is coming up from many different sources, have you
entertained the possibility that the information is true?

I do not take reports about other people seriously - I will judge that person
when I have met them and spoken to them. Personality conflicts will occur.

The vets that I refer to are very experienced ferret vets, available on the
STAR resource listing, and have been specializing in ferrets since before I
started going to them in 1988.  I respect their opinions highly.  The people
that bring up the concern about longevity in ferrets declining have been in
the ferret world for more than 10 years and have seen the decline.  I myself
have been "doing ferrets" for 11 years and noticed it personally (the first
ferret I ever owned live to be 11, I have yet to see another live beyond 8
since then).  How long have you been involved with ferrets?  Its possible
that if you have not been doing it long, that you would not see a decline.

The puppy mill I referred to was in the Mid-west and was a Yorkshire terrier
puppy mill.  It was shut down in 1989, but not before over 3,000 adult dogs
were confiscated (most already pregnant) and the majority of the animals had
to be destroyed, due to anemias, behavior problems and health problems.  I
keep track of more than just ferret abuses, because all animals deserve
better than what they get.

I am a shelter, yes, but I am also very active in the ferret community in
general - I participate in ferret education days, ferret fun days, ferret
shows, I do PetsMart every month, so I do see the average pet ferret as well
as the shelter kids.

I wonder why you support MF so adamantly - is it possible that your opinion
is biased?  I know that you are a judge for the AFA and that the AFA's major
supporter is MF; and that MF financially supports AFA shows- so indirectly,
you could say you work for MF.  I am supported solely by donations, adoption
fees, whatever we can sell, and the money I personally pour into the rescue -
no other.  My opinions are my own, and any biases I have are because of what
I discover myself.  I am nobody's "mouthpiece".

MF needs to clean up its act, in my opinion.  I am sorry that you can not
see that by supporting MF, that you are passively supporting their practices.
I will say again, they may not be the only breeder doing the things that
they do, but they are the ones that supply the most to the pet stores and
thats why they concern me so much.  No one other breeder can affect the pet
ferret like MF, and that is the biggest reason why they need to change.

I also am sorry that you think the ferret community is divided up into the
"good guys" and the "bad guys".  If I am a "bad guy" because I do not agree
with you, then so be it.  Other people's opinions of me have never mattered
much, anyway - I believe that my actions will speak louder than rumors or
innuendo - if I am now labeled a "bad shelter" as well, then again, so be
it.  I do not label people or organizations based on those criteria.  I love
ferrets and want them to be the best, smartest and healthiest possible -
that's why I shelter.

So, thats my last word on it.  I'm sure some of you are glad I finally
stepped off of my soapbox <G>.  If anyone wishes to discuss this further off
the FML, please e-mail me.

Thanks, Lisa