From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:27:59 -0400
To Dani:

>She... has a swollen anus and vulva.  Anyway, I just noticed tonight that
>her vulva is swollen and I think I ma y feel something swollen in her belly
>as well.  I guess I am asking how worried should I be?

Well, let's not jump off of any bridges just yet.  Yes, swollen vulvas and
anuses are cuase for some concern, but are likely not to be related.  A
swollen vulva is a common finding in female ferrets with adrenal disease,
due to the excess esrogen secreted by the hyperfunctioning gland and its
mimicking of the natural cycle associated with estrus in the ferret.  This
would not however, result in swelling of the anus.  If this is a true
finding, then there may be some form of GI problem, resulting in excess
straining to defecate.

Regarding the swelling in the belly - there are a lot of things that can
result in what you are feeling.  The most common cause is an enlarged
spleen, which in itself, is a benign finding over 90% of the times.  More
ferrets older than 4 years have big spleens than don't.

It's good that you noticed these changes.  I think they should be brought to
your vets attention, but I don't see anything here that should cause a panic.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology