"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 17:08:53 -0400
To Steve,

If your ferret has a blockage immediate attention is required.  What did the
x-rays show??  If it is a complete blockage emergency surgery is in order.
Blockages kill, and rapidly, if proper action is not taken.

In rare cases, and with only partial blockage, very large and frequent
dosages of Hairball medicine can occasionally cause the offending hair or
other object to pass through.  My vet has recommended 1 to 1-1/2 inches of
medicine 5 times a day in partial blockages.  Sometimes it works, sometimes
it doesn't, you will know within two days if it does.  Check the ferret's
stool thoroughly for an obstruction that may have passed.  Ferrets, in my
opinion, need hairball med.  twice weekly, in times of coat changes, I give
it three times a week.

Do not ignore the seriousness of this condition.  I would like to know what
the vet told you about this.

See a previous post about foods that I made today, and if you need help
getting your ferrets to switch, e-mail me directly and I can tell you how to
switch the ferret over successfully.

With fingers crossed for your fuzzy.....

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter