From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:20:33 -0400
To Karen, regarding your post on the second ferret with dry orangish skin,
thinnning of hair etc.  The obvious thing here is to get the ferret to an
experienced vet for an exam.

It could be several things but one thing I WOULD NOT rule out is adrenal
tumors.  The cyclic loss of hair on head and shoulder area is a key
indicator of this condition in male ferrets.  Also you mention periodonatal
disease... this can also contribute to kidney failure and a truckload of
infections.  PLEASE have this owner see an experienced ferret vet.

Re: the new ferrets and thinning.  It is not uncommon when ferrets travel
from one location to another for them to go through a shock or transition
period.  This is shown through several symptoms which may or may not appear
at the same time... lack of appetite, lethargy and not eating.  Sometimes in
more aggrivated cases of stress you could also see vomiting and diarhea.
Please monitor closely these little guys.  See that they are in fact
eating-- the food mix is good, but if they were not on it before you brought
them home-- they may prefer not to eat it--- we all know ferrets are very
picky and do not take to change in diest well!!!  Try to supplement their
food with about an inch of nutri-cal or nutristat daily until their appetite
picks up.  This will give them some extra pep and may turn them around
faster.  BE AWARE that I am not a vet-- if after reading this post you still
feel it is not change of location or change of diet that is affecting these
ferrets PLEASE take them to a vet.

Best wishes to you and the ferrets concerned,

Alicia the shelter MOm