From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:42:58 -0700
I have read some postings that have recommended feeding baby food to sick
ferrets.  A word of caution -- some baby foods may contain onion powder as a
flavoring, which has been suspect of causing a hemolytic anemia in dogs and
cats.  I haven't heard of any problems with ferrets regarding this, though.
Regarding onions in general -- all plants in the onion family (including
garlic and chives and whatever else I can't remember) are toxic to animals
causing a hemolytic anemia.  My ferret, Squirt, has some strange attraction
to onions and almost gave me a heart attack when I saw her dragging one
across the floor after I had just come back from grocery shopping.

Another food item that may not be good to feed ferrets is avocado.  I think
someone asked about it awhile back (probably 3 or 4 months ago -- I tend to
get a little behind:)).  Avocados have been known to cause myocardial
necrosis, especially in pet birds that have been fed avocados for a long
period of time.

A little introduction -- I have just finished my second year of vet school
at Washington State University and am interested in ferrets and as well as
everything else that walks or slithers.

Lisa and Squirt

[Moderator's note: Well, I'm not a vet, but I believe you're talking about
Heinz body anemia.  It's real, at least in dogs and cats, but wouldn't the
amount of onion necessary to cause it be *WAY* more than the flavoring in
baby food?  Let's not panic just yet ;-)  BIG]