From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:06:58 -0800
Concerning this debate about CDFA-1's recent post...One reason why you
shouldn't get a ferret in a place where it's illegal is because of the risk
that it might be confiscated and killed.  did I read it right that they
rescue on average 10-12 ferrets a week?  I think people should separate the
desire to interact w/a ferret (which by implication means feeding/sheltering/
vaccinating, etc.) from the desire to OWN a ferret, which is a completely
different thing.  I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but you can't deny
there are people out there who own animals for the sake of owning them.  A
family that used to live where I grew up once purchased a cat and purposely
got it pregnant so their children could witness the "miracle of birth".
Okay, now what do you do w/the six resulting miracles?  A family that lived
next door to us got a dog from the Humane Society, which will only let you
take an animal unless you agree to fix it, if it's not already fixed--well
that dog had two litters.  Why is there such a problem w/unfixed cats and
dogs in the country--could it be that there are people out there who do not
take all the responsibility for owning an animal?  Obviously not one person
can decide if another person is ready to take on the responsibility for an
animal.  On the other hand, I can understand the response CDFA-1 made in
light of this possibility--they had no way of knowing, in a pinch, if the
person interested in owning a ferret also understood all the
responsibilities involved, PLUS the responsibility of housing an ILLEGAL
ferret.  That's a pretty big responsibility, especially w/a ferret.

Just a thought--