Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 22:26:31 -0700
From:
Hi everyone!

I just attended my second ferret show in Edison, NJ last Saturday, sponsored
by LOS.  I was of course, ferretless, because of the ECE we had in May.

Question: I could not help but notice the contrast in disinfection and
cross-contamination prevention between the two shows that I have been to.
Show #1: FURO, in Robbinsville, NJ, in March.  The judges were all wearing
latex exam gloves while handling each ferret.  Upon completion of their
examination, the gloves were discarded and the entire table, as well as the
judges arms and hands were all liberally sprayed with a blue disinfectant
(I'm assuming it was Nolvasan).  This was done between each and every
ferret.  Show #2: LOSNJ, in Edison, NJ.  No gloves were worn and only baby
wipes were being used(basically soap).  The tables/placemats were not wiped.

My question is, what is the accepted level of disinfection at a ferret show?
Are there any guidelines in place or do the individual clubs use their own
discretion?  If there are no current guidelines could something be done on a
national level to instititute them?  I realize that there are many different
ferret clubs and organizations out there, but wouldn't it be worth the
effort to prevent transmission of disease among our little fuzzy friends?

LOS members and officers, please do not consider this a flame or
disparagement of your organization.  I just couldn't help but notice the two
extremes in this matter and I am merely trying to find an explanation for
it.  As a dental hygienist, I probably am more observant/critical of these
things.  After all, prevention of cross-contamination between patients is a
daily concern for me.

PAM GRANT: Perhaps being the traveller that you are, maybe you could share
some of your experiences and recommendations with us.  I happen to know that
you were among the attendants at both of the aforementioned shows.  Also, I
WANT THE FERRET CREDIT CARD!<GGG> Please tell us all where to apply!

I hope that these concerns of mine can be addressed without hostility and
flaming.  As I said before, no offense was intended.  As a mommy to five
fuzzies(all presently ECE carriers), I am just expressing my concern for the
health and well-being of ferrets everywhere.

One other question: All five of my guys seem to have caught a cold.  It
started with Teddy, then a few days later, Fozzie started sneezing, coughing
and breathing "with a rattle".  It is worse for both in the AM and late
evening.  Both are on Cefa-drops for suspected RTI.  Angel is currently on
Baytril(and cranberries-Thanks Suki!) for her stubborn UTI and now she has
started having sneezing fits.  If my other two exhibit the same symptoms,
should they also be on an antibiotic?  How do I know if it's "just" a cold?
There are no eye secretions or nasal discharges.  My vet said that
children's cold medicine or decongestants are not recommended.  So, what can
I/should I do for them?  Is this just something that has to run its course?

***Is your carpet ferret proofed?*** Last Friday I experienced a form of
indoor/carpet mole that I will not soon forget!  I went to check on my
little guys activities(it was playtime) and found Teddy and Fozzie
expressing a great deal of interest in the carpet in front of my bathroom
door.  Nothing seemed amiss, so I picked them up and headed back down the
hallway that I had travelled moments before.  That's when I saw it!  A
carpet mole!  It was about 9 inches long and was just crawling along.
Actually, it was Angel, who just found yet another way to un-ferretproof my
apartment.  I could not believe she had managed to pull up the carpeting,
where it met the marble door-threshold, and had just crawled under.  She
navigated around a corner and down the hallway into my living room(a trip of
about 20 feet!).  Fortunately, she was still close enough to the wall that I
could herd her over with my arm and pull up(yet another!)piece of my carpet
to free her.  GOODBYE SECURITY DEPOSIT!  Life is never dull with these
fuzzballs!

Well, that's all for now.  Thanks in advance for responses to my questions.
Please be kind!<G>

Dodie and the Frenzied Five(Probably soon to be blackballed from all ferret
shows!<Sigh>  ; )
Gidget, Molly, Teddy, Fozzie and Angel