From:
Paul Niedziela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:09:45 -0400
I saw a few days ago a post that discussed using teeth to tell the age of a
ferret.  I have found a somewhat less accurate but much more fun way of
determining age.  Texture of the tongue.

When the late great Timmy was about 3 years old he loved to kiss.  Any part
of the body and for however long you would let him.  The only problem was
that his tongue was incredibly coarse.  After a while I felt as if he were
taking off skin.  Thus, he was nicknamed "Sandpaper Tongue".

Marisol, now 2 1/2, has also developed a love for kissing (first noticed at
age 2).  Her tongue isn't quite the coarse texture of Timmy's, but it's
getting there.

And then there is Claude.  He is not quite 1 year old.  And what a tongue he
has!  It is a rare privelege to experience a kiss from Claude.  It usually
only happens if you've just eaten ice cream or peanut butter.  But it's
amazing.  It is incredibly soft and squishy (just like his belly).

So that is my scientific method for determining age of ferrets.  The more
often they like to lick and the coarser the tongue, the older the ferret.
After 3 years old I couldn't tell you.  We haven't gotten that far.

Becky and
Marisol (otherwise known as Marisita, Maris, Peanut, Peanut Butter Girl,
Peach, Sweet Pea, Chicklet, Chickle, Chickle-Baby) and
Claude (otherwise known as Claudie, Clauderoo, Claudioleo, Squishy Boy,
Mr. Squishly, Baby C)