From:
Meredith Magrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:16:40 -0400
Hi- this is response to the question of ferrets and rats getting along.  It
has been my experience that it just isn't going to happen.  When my little
Elmo was a year old, I also had two pet rats.  I thought it would be cute if
they played together so I did that blanket-switching thing to get them used
to each other's scents.  Well, when I thought they were ready for their
first encounter, I gently placed Baby (my rat) on the back of Elmo so she
could sniff him.  Talk about instincts!  Baby *BOUNCED* off of Elmo and
landed about three feet away(unharmed).  Elmo is so laid back that I don't
even think he knew what happened.  Baby, on the other hand, would never let
me take her anywhere near him again.  And that's that!

Meri, Garth (SO), Elmo, & SJ