Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:16:34 -0400
I guess I have to speak up on the free roaming ferret issue:

I have two ferrets.  They are never caged.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I have a few advantages and have
made adjustments.

I live in a 1 BR apartment, so it's small.  Before I moved in, I looked
*everywhere* for small holes or spaces they may get into.  That means under
the heaters, any pipes entering the rooms and inside closets.  The only
trouble spots I found were in the kitchen: I blocked off under the stove and
refrig.  I know it's not good for the frig,but the back is open
(unaccessible to ferrets).  One spot not many will think of is under the
cabinets, above the kick panel...there is sometimes a space...that was
blocked off.  They wouldn't get stuck, but I can't inspect it for holes or
poison left by another tennant.  I also had to close a large hole inside the
cabinet where a water pipe came in.  They are not allowed in cabinets and I
always keep them closed, but just in case...

Another advantage is that it's only me.  I have learned a new way to walk:
always watching where I step.  They love to hang around my feet.  I also
dont' step on throw rugs with 'bumps' in them or any type of cloth on the
floor.  I closed off the bottom of the sofa & chair with an old bedsheet
pulled tight and a staple gun.  The toilet lid is always down.  (Jealous
girls?) There is only 1 entrance and it's never left open.

If company comes over I shut them in the bedroom.  Their cage is always open
for them with nice comfy rags and their carrier is also open.  I find them
sleeping in one of the two or in the bottom nightstand drawer which was
immediatly taken over as FLO headquarters when it was new.

I have thought about fire.  I have a neighbor who knows they are here.  She
would be down in a minute to save them.  Depending on where the fire
started, they may be better off being able to run instead of trapped in one
corner.  I trust the the Lord will take care of the innocents in that event.

My landlord knows about my babies also.  Although he never comes in without
advising me first.

I've probably ruffled some feathers, but this is what I do.  Like I said, I
wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it works for me.  I've had ferrets for
8 years now and haven't had a problem.  I have to say that I did start with
them caged.  But after observing them and what problems they could get into,
they gained more uncaged time 'till finally they were left free.

Better go, didn't realize this was so long.

Donna, Bandit & Oscar