From:
Kelleen and the FANG Gang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 00:49:52 -0700
Hi All,

I have a small objection to a few things mentioned recently now that I am
trying to catch up on FML's.

1st off the remarks about keeping ferrets away from terriers.  Please do not
be prejudiced against ALL terriers for that is not fair.  I personally have
a Yorkshire Terrier daughter and her ancestors were born ratters.  BUT she
plays with my ferrets like you wouldn't believe, better than my cockapoo
does now.  She has never bitten nor hurt a single fert and she loves them
like crazy.  Watching them play is a real sidebuster.  I think the ferrets
think she is one big fat hairy ferret and they jump all over her.  So do not
be afraid just because the dog is a terrier or terrier mix.  It has been a
long time in the past that these animals here in the US did ratting at all.
Most do not have the instinct left for it it seems.  Be carefully in 1st
introducing them but do not count out a terrier just because it is what it
is:-)

Dayna mentioned awhile back about my very bad vet visit that perhaps I do
not handle confrontation well.  I do not have a problem with confrontation
in the least.  I did confront this man/vet right then and there and
complained again the next day.  I paid the bill only because I needed to
check with other vets to see what they had to say.  For all I knew he was
perfectly within his rights and I would have been a fool to try and dispute
them.  Now I feel I am in the right and he did overcharge.  I have called
the credit card company to dispute the charges and have gotten the papers to
file a complaint against him with the veterinary board.  This experience is
not forgotten and over believe me.  I still am fighting to have what I feel
is justice done.  If I were a real sissy that couldn't handle confrontations
I could never run this shelter.  Some people have no business wanting a
ferret and you have to confront them, Bobo who was placed in a temporary
home with an unneutered 7 yr.  old male that had never been around another
ferret had to be rerescued by me when I knew things were not working out.  I
was met by the woman with a level of hate I had never experienced yet I left
with Bobo all the same.  NOW THAT was confrontation.  Ask David
([log in to unmask]) just how afraid of confrontation I am <GG> he can certainly
tell you.

Regarding the DES medication.  I got carried away with what I said here.  I
only said I would sue because I felt if this vet heard me say that he might
pay more attention to me and my complaint and other things like this in the
future.  I had already gotten myself in that mode so I said to you virtually
what I will say to him.  Sorry bout that, I doubt I would actually sue the
man I just wanted to use it as a scare tactic.  I now know even more about
the DES and that it is a drug that is 10 years out of date for being used.
Yes it has been used in animals for incontinence but most vets have told me
that is with females after childbirth that suffer from this.  But now there
are much more advanced drugs available that do not have the horrible side
effects of DES.  This makes me think this man has not kept up on current
knowledge in the veterinary field and that can be a danger to all animals as
well as ferrets.  So I hope in the end of all this to perhaps recoup some of
my money and to have him decide or be forced to update his knowledge in this
field.  If it makes him a better vet then my purpose is served and I will be
happy.  THANKS!  TNT!

*      Kelleen Andrews  &  The FANG GANG!!!!          *
*      President and Founder of F.A.N.G.              *
*      (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)       *
*      405 S. Orchard   Boise, Idaho  83705           *
*      208-342-7292                                   *
*   I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday!  *
*   All they want is lots of love and great chow.     *
*         Idiocy is our only option!                  *
*     Dustin Hoffman from movie Outbreak              *