Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 20:54:11 -0700
From:
>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cave rabies, Environmental exposures, Color-diluted ferrets
>... do albinos have all of the same problems as blazes/pandas/DEWs?

Not in our experience.  As far as health goes the very healthiest ferrets
tend to be Sables then Albinoes.  The least healthy are the Waardensburg
affected - panda, blaze, DEW.  DEW having the most "mutant" genes tend to be
the least healthy - yes there are exceptions and we have two that seem
healthy so far.

>From:    Shawna Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret smell

Check the ears.  Especially check for ear mites.  If the ear wax is black
there is a good chance of the parasites and they tend to make ferrets smell
real badly.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Morris A. F., alphas, songs, mail, tips in ferrets' signature
>Bill K. said that he had not run into clear alphas. [...]
>Our alphas have always been female, and when they get used to the task
>they have always matured to be gentle with the position

Sounds like a non-dominance situation.  Some are "bossy" than others but
unlike pack animals like wolves sharing the dominance aspects with their
domestic cousins as I understand it mustelids are loners.  Being loners they
wouldn't have dominance instincts.  Thy'd have territorial disputes with
some winning more than others.  This is more like what I see.  The disputes
are "territorial" but temporary.  They don't always have the same winners.
With the alters you don't have the breeding traits to observe - but it isn't
a winner gets all like you normally have with alpha animals in packs.  Okay
since we people decide who "gets" whom it isn't as clear as it would be if
they had free range while in season.  I've heard some breeders let even
their whole animals roam totally free - sound scary to me, no way to
"control" in-breeding.  These folks if they actually cared enough could
inform us about breeding habits.

The fact that the "alpha" animals come in both genders makes it seem less
a domiance in the "alpha male" or "alpha female" sense than just one animal
being more territorial to me.

>From:    Becca Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: LAFF and Name Sounds
>I was wondering if anyone had any idea when the next LAFF show was going to
>be and where it will be held?

October 26th.  Chantilly?  Call Vickie McKimmey at 703-77-2112 but don't be
surprised if she isn't ready to start registration for the show.

For membership call Lisa Jones at 703-430-0347

I'm going to work on them to get "on-line" and volunteer to do a web site.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: I think Vickie's number above should be 703-777-2112. BIG]