From:
"Joel M. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:06:54 -0400
We have accumulated a few questions and have some suggestions as well.

In all the talk of best foods, we haven't seen much about 8 in 1 which is
our guys' favorite - any comments?

We use CareFresh litter/bedding (it takes the new ones a few days to stop
sleeping in it and start using it for poo).  It is soft, ground up, gray,
cardboard material - like the coffee trays at Dunkin Donuts.  Very
absorbent; no dust; no small particles to stick to their little bottoms; no
odor, no out-gassing.  We tried the paper pellets but they look too much
like food and were treated as such.  We can get it locally at our pet supply
store.  E-mail us if you need the maker's address.

To seal under doors, we used a strip of cable cover.  This is the stuff they
use to run wires across floors, so you won't trip over them.  Its rounded on
the top and has a split flat bottom.  We stuck it down to the threshold with
double sided foam tape.  It is too smooth and hard for fert teeth.

We have a problem with mealy bugs in the fert food.  Given time at room
temp, the overflow and hidden caches develope infestations.  We keep the
unopened bags in the freezer and have tried microwaving the food but that
seems to affect the taste.  Any other suggestions?  Also what is a safe bug
killer?

We discovered a mail-order supplier whose prices are way below our pet
shop's and vet's for lots of stuff.  Nutrical is $4.25 a tube or $40/dozen.
Also good prices on carriers, petromalt, etc.  If it's okay to tell you,
it's Star Pet Supply 1-800-274-6400.  If not, BIG will expunge the preceding
and you can e-mail us for the info.

We noted some questions about angora ferrets and crossbreeding from Urban
Fredriksson which seemed strange.  We recently got two angoras, a black self
and a pastel, from Lars Eriksson and they are delightful and normal (they
act the same as the our regular guys did at their age.) Outside of their
gorgeous fur, they seem like any others and we would encourage anyone to add
one to their family.  We will be happy to answer any questions we can about
them.

Warning!  Squeeky toys.  We have one on an elastic cord that's wonderful for
retrieving missing ferts.  The other day, one of our little guys passed a
"stool" an inch long and pitch black.  Upon examination it was found to be
mostly squeeky-fur that they had managed to pull out.  The gang all had
gotten a shot of petromalt the day before.  Who knows if she would have
passed it through without the hairball remedy.  We need to be careful of
furry toys, even though we couldn't pull the fur out, they can.

That's all for now. Enjoy and entertain your ferts.

Joel & Mary
Ferreted out at seven and loving it