From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:19:25 -0400
     Yeah,  Sammi exclaimed, jumping up and down.   Tell us a story, Mr.
Owl!
     Well, legend has it,  Owl began.   That over a decade ago, a huge
portion of the total population of wild black-footed ferrets was captured by
a wolf turned bad...his name is Fang.  Thus the status of the black-footed
ferrets in the United States has been listed as endangered ever since, and
their fate looks rather bleak.  But if some brave souls dare enter the Evil
Swampland and release them from captivity, then their numbers will be
sufficient enough for de-listing as endangered.  But no one has ever
returned from that dark, damp, and downright ugly place alive!  Surely the
ferrets are doomed!
     Poor ferrets!   Foxie gasped, taken by the drama of the fable.
     Where is this scary place?  Maxie asked.
     To the east,  Owl pointed with his wing.
     I m not afraid of anything,  Rosie stated.   And certainly not some
big, bad wolf!
     Uh,  Wiggles interjected.   Wait a minute here.
     I can take on an army of wolves!  Rosie added, standing upright on her
back legs.
     Are you crazy?  Wiggles asked.   Owl has warned us not to go there!
     I wanna go,  Sammi said.   Maybe they got raisins there.
     I m game.  Maxie declared.
     Besides,  Rosie exclaimed.   If we don t help those black-footed
ferrets, no one else will!  We d be letting our wild cousins down!
     She has a point,  Buzz noted.
     Fine,  Wiggles said.   Count me in.  But I d like to remind you that
this is insane.
     What about you, Griz?  Rosie asked.
     Naw,  Griz answered, walking away,  Sounds dangerous to me.  Catch you
guys later.
     I really think that you folks should reconsider this notion,  Owl
stated.   Urggggluggg...  he muttered as he spit something out of his mouth
and onto the ground at their feet.
     What is that?  Sammi asked.
     That is disgusting,  Wiggles remarked.
     It s got bones and fur in it,  Rosie stated, looking with awe at the
ovular object.
     Excuse me,  Owl said.   I just had a snack, and it came back up a bit
early.
     What the heck IS that?  Maxie asked.
     That is a pellet,  Owl answered.   We owls and hawks spit those up
after we have had a meal...usually consisting of small rodents.  We swallow
our prey whole, and our stomachs can t handle the fur and bones, so up it
comes!  Pretty efficient, eh?
     Still looks gross to me,  Wiggles stated.
     Can I keep it for my Dad?  Rosie asked, putting it in the crinkle sack.
     Sure,   Owl remarked.   Be my guest.  There are more where that came
from, if you d like them...
     No thanks,  Wiggles declared.   One is fine with us...really.
     So,  Owl said.   I hope that you heed my warning and stay out of that
wicked place.  Only trouble can come from venturing into such a realm.
     Let s go, guys,  Rosie stated.  Her three sisters, Foxie, and Buzz
followed.
     Uh,  Owl called after them.   It is a very dangerous quest...why don t
you reconsider...
     Anyway,  Rosie said.   It s getting dark.  We should really find a
place to sleep for the night.   They continued walking east through the
forest, single file...ferrets, fox, and vulture...
     Yeah,  I m getting a bit sleepy.  Maxie yawned, as they trooped through
the dense trees and foliage.  Twilight had begun in the forest.  A few
minutes later they heard voices coming from behind a ring of trees ahead of
them.
     Who s that?  Sammi stated, with wide eyes.
     Let s find out,  Rosie said, running to look.
     Yeah,  Maxie added.   Maybe they got fleece-lined, sleep sacks.
     And raisins,  Sammi declared.   Don t forget the raisins.
     How did I ever agree to coming along on such an absurd venture?
Wiggles grumbled, chasing after her sisters.  Foxie and Buzz followed close
behind.  They reached the outskirts of the place where the voices had come
from, and peeked their heads around the cover of a large tree to get a closer
look...
     Stanley!   A man said, dressed in rugged clothing,  Pass the hooch!
Another man clumsily handed him a bottle, almost burning his arm in the
campfire that was blazing in front of the three men.
     Aw,  the third man added.   You drunken fools couldn t shoot a gobbler
if he were standin  on yer nose.
     Shut up, Jim Bob,  Stanley said.   Before I decide to come over there
and shoot YOU!
     You and what army?  the third man replied.
     Both of ya shut up,  yelled the first man.  Their shotguns were leaning
all in a row up against the nearest tree, and a dozen steel traps, not
unlike the one that Foxie had been caught in, were lying in a pile next to
the rifles.
     Those are the jerks that hurt my leg!  Foxie whispered loudly to the
others.
     Yeah,  Rosie whispered even louder,  Let s get  em.

    (to be continued...)