From:
Kit West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:02:29 -0400
I have a 6-year-old neutered male ferret who just had adrenal surgery (two
months ago).  Right removed, most of left taken out.  Prostatic cyst
drained, and he began antibiotics (Cefadroxil and Clavamox along with Pedia
Prednisone).

After a few days of Duck Soup, he went back to solid food (Totally Ferret)
but had great difficulty eating, and it would usually come back almost as
fast as it went down.  We put him back on Duck Soup and he seemed to do well
for a while.

He began vomiting, mostly mucus (sp) and dehydrated badly.  He lost 1/3 of
his body weight.  We managed to get some weight back on him (41 grams in
two weeks), but he's still bringing up mucus.  He's pooping regularly so I
don't think he's got a blockage.  He paws at his mouth a lot, though.
There was no sign of insulinoma discovered during surgery nor in subsequent
blood tests.

Unfortunately, his doctors don't know what's wrong with him.  I looked
through the FAQs and suspect that it might be Heliobacter or a gastric
ulcer.  He was definately stressed with his adrenal condition, and surgery
isn't exactly a walk in the park (my SO just had major surgery and I know
what his recovery was like, so I'm guessing that ferrets can go through a
similar recovery period.  Alex had some trouble eating -- it was a real
effort at first and was very tiring; it would make sense that animals might
have the same fatigue pattern).

Any ideas that you might come up with would be appreciated.  You can post to
the FML and/or e-mail me personally.  I'm concerned.

Kit