From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 19:53:30 -0800
Dr. Gary Holowicki
E. Apache Bl. #18
Tempe, AZ. 85281

1/30/96

Mr. Robert Treanor      Exec. Dir./ Fish & Game Comm.
1416 9th. St..
Sacramento, Ca. 95814

cc: Gov. Pete Wilson
Governor's Office
State Capitol
Sacramento, Ca. 95814

Gentlemen;

With reference to the governor's directive for all agencies to review
excess, burdensome, and unnecessary regulations, I would like to strongly
suggest the legalizing of domestic ferrets, a stance that all of the other
49 continental states now share!  This could aided by the expediting of the
environmental impact statement the F&G says it needs to go to the filing of
public notice that the commission has voted in favor of at their October,
1995 meeting.  It was stated at the same meeting that the department itself
estimated that it costs over forth thousands of dollars per year, to harass
otherwise honest citizens that might choose to exercise their constitutional
rights to own the domestic pet of their choice.

When it was announced on the INTERNET, the October meeting was phrased along
these lines:

>>> Come to the October Ca. F&G meeting where they will discuss considering
the domestic ferret a domestic animal..They currently consider it a "wild"
animal!..  ( I know, only in California does this make sense..!)

I have lived in San Diego for over 15 years, and having traveled out of
state for about ten months last year, have come to see this as only one more
way that the California legislature has a Communistic fervor in interfering
in the rights of the individuals who reside there.  I won't bother going
into those other issues at this time, but suffice it to say that my house is
up for sale, and where I am at this moment is reflected in my mailing
address.  I am still REGISTERED TO VOTE IN CALIFORNIA, HOWEVER, until the
house sells.

I have been made aware that New Hampshire F&G dept. has sent letters to the
F&G departments of all the other states where domestic ferrets are accepted,
requesting copies of their environmental impact statements.  They thereby
saved months of time, and thousands of dollars in expenditures.  (this in
itself seems to also fulfill the directive of reducing waste).  May I
politely suggest that you do the same.

Having laws that are based on fiction and fears rather than the facts, as
demonstrated by testimony that was taped by at lest two TV news crews, at
the October F&G meeting In San Diego, tends to instill a mistrust and
dislike of laws in general by the populace of said governing bodies.  It
also encourages flight from such areas by the most mobile portions of the
population, those same people who earn good incomes and in the future will
be giving their tax dollars to other states!  (Get the message?)

I know many people who will not go to California for schooling or even
tourism since a young man last year spent actual time in jail for simply
having a domestic ferret in his possession & trying to drive into
California!

I would appreciate a written response to this letter so I will know it has
been received and duly considered.

Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,
Dr. Gary Holowicki

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.