From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:32:40 -0500
As a point of reality, I rarely give my ferrets treats because I have
so many of them.  Raisins are passed out on human holidays, Linatone
administered twice a month for nail clipping, and no people treats or
junk cat food.

Of course, my household also consists of all home grown ferrets, some still
active breeders, the rest retired, except for one Marshall Farm ferret (Bear
is 6 years old).  No problems with adrenals, but I presently have one 8.5
year old just starting to have problems again with low blood sugar (she had
the surgery 7/93), one ferret seeing Dr. Weiss Wed. am for his pancreatic
surgery, and a 9 year old with a heart murmur and low glucose now on lasix
and pred.  All of these are from other breeders.  I'll lay claim to 22
ferrets as of the first of the year.  the average age is about 4 years old.

I think genetics plays a lot in all this with adrenals, and I feel
insulinoma may be heriditary, though a good diet started early in life
really helps a lot.  Treats in the form of junk food might offset some
diets if given in liberal amounts, but once a week should not throw things
off by much.

I still say that for a good treat, get a free sample of quality cat food
that is different from what you are feeding the fuzzies and let them think
it is a treat.

As to waking ferrets with "num-num" calls - ferrets won't hear that very
well if lost outside and sleeping under a shed or bush that you aren't
standing near - and the neighbors will think you are nuts calling "NUM
NUMs!" at the top of your lungs.  I feel less obvious squeaking a toy.
IMHO. : )

Pam Grant / STAR*