From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:23:33 EST
A couple of days ago, someone posted about scattering the contents of litter
trays outside the house to serve as a beacon for wandering ferrets, and as
fertilizer.  I have also heard that this practice might repel rodents of
European extraction (eg.  Norwegian rat).

My question is, how safe is ferret poop as a fertilizer on food crops?  I
labor under ancestral prohibitions against carnivore (dog, cat) scat in
food gardens, presumably because of worms or other carnivoric diseases.  Or
is it because, as with any kind of poop, applying it fresh will burn the
vegetation?  In either case, composting should take care of the problem,
yes?

Any thoughts, Edenic FMLers?

-- Lee, who has got to get herself/back to the garden.

PS.  Francine hit another vein of kibble down the street, but now we suspect
that crows have something to do with it.  They must steal the kibble fruit
from wherever they do grow wild, and then drop these kibble seeds to take
root in the neighborhood lawns.  Definitely a fertile avenue for further
research.