From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:24:56 -0500
Wayne,

You asked what the purpose of the distemper booster and if rabies
vaccinations were really necessary.

If your ferret has never had a distemper vaccination before, two shots
separated by 4 weeks will give it the imunity it needs against distemper.
Distemper is nearly always fatal in ferrets (although AFA reported of a new
experimental treatment that is looking good).  It is a terrible disease and
preventable with the yearly vaccinations.  There seems to be a lot of
distemper going around here in the US.  Canada is too close to assume you
won't see it there.

Where the distemper vaccinations will protect the ferret against the
disease, the rabies vaccination may protect your ferret from being killed if
it should ever bite or scratch someone.  *We* know that ferrets don't
transmit rabies, but public health officials believe that ferrets are born
with rabies and a meer lick on the eyelids will cause a person to die from
rabies.  If you ferret has it's current vaccination, you may forstall the
"victim" from seeking medical treatment, which will nearly always result in
your ferret being killed.  Here in NH we have a state law requiring a rabies
vaccination, but in the event of a bite the vaccinated ferret is
quarantined, not killed.

Tricia,
You asked a similar question, but because of different reasons.  Just
because your ferret is strictly housebound will not protect it from
distemper.  You can carry it in on your shoes and clothes.  A visitor might
pick it up and carry it in the same way.  The disease does not require
direct contact with a sick animal.  It can be transferred.

Vaccine reactions do occur, but so does distemper.  Vaccine reactions are
very rare.  Perhaps if my ferret had a life threatening reaction after the
vaccination, I might rethink having it revaccinated.  But ONLY in that case.
Distemper is fatal.  The odds are strongly in favor of vaccination.

I'd recommend getting both shots and keeping them up to date.

Dick B.