From:
"W. Mark Herrick, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 16:37:07 GMT
Greetings all!

Been lurking for a couple of months, and finally decided to post to this
group.  I have a group of 8 little monsters, ranging in age from 7 months to
1 1/2 years.  There are some questions and comments that I'd like to make
based on what I've been reading lately, so here goes....

First, the questions...

1.  My newest ferret, Hopkins (like the hospital), doesn't have any tattoos
in either ear.  I adopted him recently from an owner who just didn't have
the time to care for him properly.  He is in great health, although he's a
little on the thin side for a male.  Do ferrets have to have the tattoos, or
are they a particular breeder's way of marking their ferrets?

2.  Staying with Hopkins, I've noticed that some of the other monsters seem
to beat him up with regular consistency.  It would seem that their favorite
way is to grab him by the scruff and literally drag him across the room.
Now, I know about the roles of the dominant ferret, and could see if only
the other boys (Scooter and Slug) did this to him.  But I notice that even
Scarlett (eldest of the 8) beats the crap out of him.  I shouldn't be
concerned, right, because they're only 'initiating' (sp?) him into the
group?

3.  Onto Scarlett....Scarlett has this climbing problem....Over the
baby-gate, up the fireplace guard, up the speakers, anywhere she possibly
can....Is there a awy to discourage her from climbing?  The speaker and the
fireplace guard I don't mind, but the baby-gate I do, because the kitchen
and bedroom aren't ferret-proofed....

4.  Scarlett also has an abnormally shaped toe.  It sticks straight up
instead of out.  Should I approcah this one differently when clipping?

I think that just about covers my questions..Now onto the comments...

I've noticed that my ferrets are very close-knit, and tend to sleep in
little cliques....Scooter (male Sable) always sleeps with Pokey (albino
female), Bounce (female sable) always sleeps alone, Hopkins (male sable w/no
mask) sleeps with Beanie (female chocolate), Slug (male sable), and Tasha
(female silvermitt), and Scarlett (female sable) kinda sleeps around....
Anybody else notice a particular sleeping arrangement in their family?

Oh, well...More questions than comments, I guess....I think I'll go play
with the monsters, rev them up a bit....

For now...

Blacknoir & the 8 monsters...

Beanie (Dammit, I was the first!)
Pokey (Scooter's my man, not yours!)
Bounce (Hmmm, this looks like it would be fun to jump from...)
Scooter (Where's that new guy....?)
Slug (MY phone cord!)
Scarlett (Only a 2 foot leap to the coffee table?)
Tasha (I'm a bad baby girl, but I'm too cute to resist)
Hopkins (Why's everybody always picking on me?)