From:
Ken Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 22:01:09 -0800
Some of you on this here FML have followed my journey as I tried to decide
whether or not to get a ferret.  I'd just like to thank each and every one
of you that has encouraged me to get one.  Some of you made public
statements thru the FML amd some of you sent private e-mail.  All comments
and suggestions are very much appreciated, but I regret that I have to say
that I decided not to get one.  Instead, I got TWO.

Right now they are curled up together in their little hammock that came with
the cage I got at the pet store today.  I was told that they are each about
7 weeks old and that they are from Marshall Farms (they showed me the
tattoos).  I was able to trade corn-cob litter that came in the 'Ferret
Starter Kit' for 'Carefresh Pet Bedding', a recyled newspaper litter.  I
asked about 'Bitter-apple (just in case) and they said, "Sure, we have a
spray." When I asked about a paste or cream, they said they didn't have
anything like that, but when we went to the shelf to get the spray, what do
ya know, right next to it was 'Bitter-apple' in a tube.

Thanks to the FML, and all of the great contibutions, the store owner said
that I was one of the most knowledgable new ferret purchasers he had ever
met.  OK, so maybe that was just him blowing smoke you know where, but it
sure felt good to at least act like I knew what I was talking about.  Many,
many, many thanks to all the contributors to this forum.

My new little girl is a silver-mitt and my little guy is a sable.  Yeah,
right, like I know what the heck I'M talking about.  At least that is what I
was told.  The little girl does have white paws and I GUESS that makes her a
silver-mitt.

As much as I thought I'd be able to pre-name them, it has quickly become
obviuos to me that I was clueless.  'Bilbo', in honor of that mythical
adventurer, seems to fit for the little GUY, since he has already discovered
that he can hide from me by climbing thru a little-bitty hole in the liner
under my mattress.  "Miss Chif" as a name may attach itself to my new little
girl, since she leaped off my bed within a minute and soon found the back of
the refrigerator which I thought I'd ferret proofed already.

Have I lost my mind or what?????????

These little ferts have been here for less than 5 hours, they've eaten some
of both types of food I got them, they've pooped in their litter box,
they've discovered the water bottle, found places to hide that I NEVER
thought of, and ..............they've slept for at least half that time.

I know that this must sound really weird to anyone that hasn't owned a
ferret before (It did to me just a few days ago), but to all of you that
encouraged me to get a fert ( and those that mentioned getting more than
one ), I'd just like to say:

        THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,

OOOOOOOPPPPPPs, I think they are waking up, I gotta go,

Ken Loomis & the two new fuzzies

PS.  To all of you that responded privately, I will answer with a private
message, but I thought this was the best way to announce to all my new
er.....ah  SITUATION.    ;-)