From:
Michelle Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 20:21:07 -0700
We took our gang of six ferrets in for their yearly rabies shots today (not
all of them were due, but we decided to get them all updated now anyway so
it would be easier for us to remember -- did that with their distemper shots
as well, which are done at the local ferret rescue.)

Taz was given a clean bill of health and a comment from Dr. Bock that he
remember Taz as a little terrorist and biter and that we had done a
wonderful job settling him down and giving him manners.  (Dr. Bock checks on
all the Ferrets, Etc rescue ferrets, which is where we got Tazzie from.)

Coffee was also given a clean bill of health and chuckled at as our little
stubborn terrorist who was determined to get out of the carrying case (while
Dr. B was checking on our rat who was ailing), wiggled like a mad woman to
get away during the exam, and then dug stubbornly at the case when we put
her back in again.  She's a handful, sheesh.

Daphne is mostly healthy, although we were worried because she has a
tendency to cough and hack occassionally.  Dr.  B checked her lungs and
heart and said it didn't sound like a heart problem, swabbed her throat to
check for infection and didn't find any, and said she might have a bit of an
allergy, so gave us a bit of medicine to give her when she's wheezy, and
we'll see how that helps.

Tia has gained weight and energy (in spite of being our old lady as almost
four, and being tiny -- the last time she was in, she weighed 1 lb 2 oz, and
she's gained five ounces, GOOD GIRL!!  :)).  However, Dr. Bock did detect
an occassional triple beat in her heart, like a gallop rhythm, and said it
might account for her lower endurance as compared to our other ferrets.  He
said it was probably nothing to worry about now, but to keep an eye on her
and if she started to develop a pear shape, to bring her in right away.  He
also said he didn't see a need to do a geriatric blood screening this time
(she turns four in May), but maybe in six months to a year it would be a
good idea.

Gretchen was a little thick in her rear leg "pouches" (the loose skin
folds), but Dr. Bock thinks it's just a little extra fat, and not to worry
unless they start to grow or become asymetrical -- then he'll worry about
her lymph nodes.

Beelzebub (called Beezie by me and Bubba by Kirk) was given a clean bill
of health and is doing fine -- even after his diving into a hot fireplace
and burning and scorching his entire front half a couple months ago. :)

Michelle
Flutist

--
Meet my pets.  The ferrets (Taz, Coffee, Daphne, Tia, Gretchen, and
Beelzebub), the gerbils (33 of them), the rats (seven of them), the budgies