From:
Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:25:10 -0600
I must be on a roll (third post today).

As we all know - we have the privilege of having some very generous and
knowledgeable vets participate on the FML.  I know that many of us have
benefitted a great deal by having them donate time for us.  With so little
known about ferret medicine - it's a relief to have some place to go when
our own vets are stumped.

Based on some recent conversation, I have been doing some thinking.  Is
there some way we can make life easier for our vets here on the list?  They
are all extremely busy people - and do their very best to answer questions
in a timely manner, but there are only so many hours in a day.  The volume
of mail on the FML is fairly large - as we all know and enjoy!!  I'm sure,
though - that some (most?!) days it would be nice if the vets could easily
parse the questions out, and save the rest of the FML for reading in their
spare (cough) time.

I've considered a couple of options, and would like to know what you all
think (vets especially!).

   1.  Have the list distributed in two parts:
                   FML and FML-Medical

       This would mean: a) an additional list be created or b) more
       work for the moderator

   2.  Have a standard for "subject" headings so that searching
       on a keyword would be easier.  Something like "Subject:
       MEDICAL".  (I realize this would take a bit of time to
       implement - especially with new members coming on board
       frequently).

Any other (better) suggestions?  I know this requires some effort on our
part - but in light of the fact that we're getting FREE, INVALUABLE medical
advice - we surely can't complain.  I just think we need to do all we can to
simplify this process for the FML vets.  They've been LIFE SAVERS and we
don't want to risk losing them based on volume.

Thanks and dook,

Cheryl and the Wrecking Crew

[Moderator's note: I can't speak for the vets, but I hope they enjoy the
rest of the FML as well.  Any veterinarians care to comment?  BIG]