From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:02:24 -0500
Me again.  I forgot to mention yesterday that I got Mortimer from fellow
FMLer, Alan Moen.  I'm delighted with his personality.  He doesn't bite, he
uses his litter box consistently, he's in perfect health, he's very pretty,
and he's got seven brothers and sisters who are in still available.  (see
the advertising issue)

Ferret Boarding question:
>Now, my big question is... do I totally blow off what the owner instructed
>me to do? Or do I continue to care for them in a way I wouldn't care for my
>own?

I vote that you care for them as well as you can.  When he gets back,
politely explain what you did and why.  For the ear mites, bill him for any
veterinary costs and the medication.  I'm sure the owner will be pleased to
hear your recommendations on ferret care.  Most people want their pets to be
healthy.  Just remember to phrase your suggestions in a non-accusatory way,
and emphasize that they will look, feel, and behave better.

Males with Nipples:

>Back to my question, however.  When I was lathering Seymour up, I noticed
>for the first time that it looked as though he had nipples!

So do you, silly!  I expect they're just easier to see on albinos.

Cute Story:

Sebastian had a terrible case of the flu last night.  He was vomitting and
had diarrhea, and was just generally sick.  We sat up with him a while, and
tried to get him to drink water from an eye dropper, etc.  Finally, after a
vomitting episode where we were chasing him around the house, my husband
with paper towels in his hand, we decided to confine him to the bathroom for
the night.  He had his crate, his favorite red blankie, food and water, all
the comforts.  Then we went to bed.  I dreamt that Sebastian climbed up into
the bed (which he does frequently), and settled down between the pillows.  I
half woke up, and decided it was impossible, because he was barricaded into
the bathroom.  When we woke up this morning, there was Sebastian!  He had
accomplished a brilliant and no-doubt exhausting escape from the bathroom,
and ignored the great, seldom-explored, forbidden first story of our house,
to crawl into bed with us.  How touching that he prefers our company when
he's not feeling good!  (Sebastian has seen the vet, and he's doing fine.)

Happy Holidays,
Catherine