From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 22:56:51 -0500
Hello FML - Well, between the blizzard and the flooding, Northern Virginia
and Southern Maryland has been getting quite a lot of which most of us are
not used to.

Since I live close the the river, we were alert to on-rushing waters.  Darn,
just when we had managed to dig out from under near three feet of snow, it
goes and melts and floods us.  My ferrets were all appalled.  The snow was
o.k., but they were steadfast in their opinion about getting wet.  There was
significant water damage in our area and the G.W.  Parkway and many roads
were down for awhile, but things are better now.  Clean-ups are in progress.
And our house, which sits on a rise, was just fine -- with the exception of
one gutter collapse.  The ferrets were making canoes out of my shoes there
for awhile.  The worst problem we have experienced, in my opinion, is that
stores are totally out of - oh, myGod!  - PineFresh litter.  We are making
do with what we have.  Maybe the PineFresh was used to balk the banks of the
soggy Potomac.

A good test of our Disaster Network ensued, with intrepid Chere McCoy at the
helm.  Jodi Schroth in Harrisburg and on the Susquehanna - and many friends
were in the most danger.  Recent reports indicate they are o.k.  Everyone
was standing ready for aid.  Good to know that the communication system
works so well!  Great Job, Chere and Howard and others!  Chere McCoy can be
reached at AGE [log in to unmask] if weather turns your area into a disaster.

Mason - My technique for getting pills down ferrets is - Hold the ferret
firmly.  I usually tuck the ferret under my left arm leaving my hand free to
hold up head and open mouth by pressing at jaw hinge.  Right hand pops the
pill in and to the back of the throat.  With head elevated and mouth closed,
I quickly stroke downward motions on ferret's neck.  If ferret does not
immediately swallow pill and is trying to work it from back of tongue, I put
a drop of linetone quickly on front of ferrets mouth.  Can't lick the
ferretone unless they swallow first.  I don't know if this is a good
explanation for you.  I am so used to popping pills down ferrets and other
pets that I don't really give it much thought.  Had to stop and think before
I could explain........Anyway, hope this helps some.

Regards to all, Meg