From:
"Paul L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 00:07:21 -0800
Greetings from Seattle!

Mike C. wrote:
>...  A soapbox for all of us to discuss, trade, and argue about all things
>ferret. ...  No doubt you have a subscription list that stretches around
>the world, involving everyone from the best veterinarians, to the first
>time owner.

This is, IMHO, the very beauty of this list; that everyone is involved and
each in their own unique way.  I take what I want and skim or ignore the
rest.  No problem.

>Above all, this list should be informative.  The knowledge of keeping these
>great pets alive and healthy should be paramount in most discussions.

This is a free form list including, as you said, discussions of "all things
ferret".  It is not limited in format other than that.  This is a good
thing as everyone can come to the list and find something for them.

>However, I feel that something should be said about those few who post
>articles on their dead ferrets.  These extreme letters ...
>the guilt the owner feels because of the death of the pet seem to point to
>an almost fragile mind-set that perhaps would be better served by a caring
>professional therapist, than by long rambling letters posted...
-snip-
>I would suggest that it is then e-mailed to close caring friends, and not
>to all, when not all may wish to read it.  I have no wish to read the
>morbid and sometimes ghoulish details...

These people have experience a dramatic loss of a creature that has been
near and dear to them.  To many people their pets are similar to children
and they have very deep emotional bonds with them.  We can debate (elsewhere
I hope) the validity or sanity of this experience but the fact remains that
it is real and powerful for them.  This is a forum to share all our
experiences about ferrets; pleasent and not.  Sometimes I stop reading when
I come across a post about a dead or dying ferret and sometimes I am moved
to respond with love and caring.  In both cases the choice is mine and there
is no need to put responsibility for my experience on others...

>I cannot speak for everyone, but in my faith, giving God an "OR ELSE" in a
>prayer to Him is just not a prayer.  It is a threat.  And I cannot comply.

I happen to agree in principle with your expression of your faith.  In this
case, though, I see no purpose in inflicting my point of view on someone
who is in such obvious emotional pain and fear.  What good will that do?  I
said a prayer for her and her ferret that more closely followed my faith
and went on with my life.  Why does she need to be bothered with the
differences between my faith and hers?

>let's try to keep a balance and not offend others, who although are loving
>ferret owners, may not share the same, or any, religious beliefs.  During
>this holiday season, I have seen my wife cry twice now while reading this
>list...

I try in every way *not* to live my life based on wether or not I could
possibly offend someone elses religious, moral, ethical, spiritual,
emotional, intellectual, etc., etc., etc.  sensibilities.  I know that that
is an impossible task and refuse to go there.  I take full responsibility
for my feelings, reactions, and experiences and expect others to do the
same.  This does not mean that I allow myself to be desrespectful or hurtful
to others.  Quite the contrary.  I merely feel that I don't need to coddle
others for their potential hurt feelings.  Feelings are a part of life.
Sometimes we feel happy, sometimes we feel sad all our feelings are part of
the beautiful mosaic that is humanity.

>I have tried to write this letter as balanced as I could, so as not to
>offend.  I am not interested in flames, but of just expressing my own
>thoughts on a delicate matter I feel should be addressed.  This is just my
>own personal opinion and nothing more.

Ditto and well put
With respect,

Paul Lerch