From:
Brian Canals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 13:27:10 -0500
Well Penny is joining the ranks of the sickly.  They think maybe it is
ulcers.  Help!!!  How do I fix her?  She's on Tagmet (.1cc) 3x per day,
Reglan syrup (.25cc) 2x, and Gentocin (.25cc) 2x.  An x-ray shows no
blockage.  She vomits, mainly just white foam though.  Constantly strains to
have a bowel movement.  Started about 2 pounds, was 1.2 on Sat, .8 on thur.
Hospitialized over night.  Got rehydrated (SP?).  Was constantly grinding
her teeth, resulting in a clucking sound.  Her hind quarters are all pinched
in.  When they got her un-dehydrated (maybe this word is better), her hind
quarters weren't so pinched in, now they are again.  When she wakes up she
starts gagging and throwing up again.  She looks rough.  I gave her some
diet 7-UP since she didn't want any water.  They tried Nutracal at the vets
and she refused it.  Is pedialyte (SP again) any good for her?  What type of
babyfood should I try?  What should I do in general.  Any and all
suggestions appreciated, please e-mail [log in to unmask] so that I can try
your suggestions as quick as possible, at .8 pounds she doesn't have much
further to go.

Penny is only a year old, very picky eater but terribly healthy until early
Jan.  Oh, don't know if this has had any tie in.  I was raising a squirrel
from the hurricane, he was fat and sassy and playful and killed over on the
1st.  (Wasn't that a hell of a way to start the New Year!) About that time
Penny and Calvin discovered a sample bag of Marshall Farms ferret pellets
and I let them have them (after all they had already chewed the bag open)
just a few days before she got sick.  About 2-3 weeks before this I had
switched her from Iams and KayT to MaxKitten and KayT.  She seemed to be
fine and was eating with out any complaints.  When she first went to the
vet, they put her on Amoxicillian, she got better for one day then went down
hill again.
Please Help!!!!

PS: I haven't been able to read the list for about 2 months, I was browsing
thru one trying to find email addresses for the docs and pam green at star
ferrets when I noticed a poem about Racy.  Kellen, let me extend my
sympathies, I know she meant a lot to you.  I guess at the moment I feel
added empathy, as I sit around hoping Penny doesn't end up joining her.