Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:30:27 EST
From:
Judith Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
I thought I'd mention to you all that a cancer diagnosis does not always
mean prolonged agony for your pet and vast expense for you.  A year ago this
month, I noticed that my 6 year old ferret Steppi had small lesions on one
paw, which also began to get swollen and red.  The first few tests were
baffling - the appearance of the paw really did suggest a bad case of
ringworm.  It took 2 blood screens - conducted by 2 different labs - to
arrive at a diagnosis of lymphosarcoma.  While waiting between tests, Medrol
was used to control the swelling and obvious soreness.  Frequent rinsing
with a dilute betadine solution prevented infection.  After the confirmation
of cancer came back, his prescription was changed to prednisone, and all
Steppi's symptoms seem to have disappeared.

Of course, he is still just a scruffy, runty, inbred albino, but he does
seem to enjoy life, and we were thrilled that he was able to spend a 7th
Christmas with us.  The prednisone is embarrasingly cheap - the only real
expense is the Nutri-Cal I use to disguise the crushed pill.  Steppi's due
for another blood test in a few weeks, and I hope his condition remains
stable, although I'm aware that this medication can take its toll over such
a long period of use.

Meanwhile, Steppi's 1.8 pounds are kept warm and well-groomed by his brace
of "wench-weasels," perhaps the TRUE secret to his longevity!  Judith