From:
Stepehen Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 16:01:07 -0700
We've been following the FML for some time just lurking, so this is our
first posting.  I must say thanks to all out there who have posted so much
great information which has served us well in raising our first ferret.
Hobes is a 6 mo.  old sable with a great loving disposition.  He has grown
out of the nipping stages but still is a ball of fire in a bag of old socks
or a pile of boots.  We have constructed a large multi level cage for him.
He spends the working day in it but has the run of the place when someone is
at home.  Among his favourite toys are a rug tube, duct taped together, in
which he waits for one of us to roll him around.  (Great fun...stagger
stagger flop.) Another is a foot stool which I lined and dust covered the
bottom of with artists canvas.  I left a hole for him to enter and exit.
The canvas makes great noise when he scratches it clucking all the while.

We just came in from the SPCA shelter where we registered to adopt a ferrit
friend for him.  Hope it all works out.

I did notice some postings on smell.  I just found two products one of which
I have tried.  The first is called PPP Ferret Fresh (Professional Pet
Products inc.  Miami Fl.  33172).  A rather strong smelling odour
cover-upper which if used sparingly seems to mask the musky natural odour.
Sparingly...  I got carried away rubbing it into his coat and about drove
myself out of the room.  Had to wipe it off poor Hobs.  I don't find the
musk odour repulsive but it is very strong on his head which I'm reluctant
to shampoo for fear of getting water and soap into his ears.  The other is
Ferret Kleen (G.G. Bean inc.  box 638 Brunswick, Me.  04011)which I intend
to use on areas near the litter boxes when his aim is off.  It is supposed
to take the fecal odour out of contacted materials.  Haven't tried it yet.
I did see an enzyme preparation which is used as a rinse to reduce the musk
smell after bathing.  These were all found at Pet Haven in South Calgary.

Keep up the great postings we'll be reading ya.

Steve, Terry Ann, Jason, Hobes the Hob, and Bear the dog
Yahoo from Calgary