From:
"Charles D. Pratt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 22:02:50 -0600
Hi again!  I just made my fuzzies their Holiday present--I carpeted the
platforms in their cage.

If you remember.  I purchased a ferret playpen made by Midwest a short time
ago.  The only drawbacks I've noted about the cage is:
          1)not enough "resting platforms," so I purchased additional
            platforms,and...
          2)the platforms are made out of slick plastic, which is cold and
            slippery for my 3 fuzzbuckets.

To remedy this, I measured a platform and subtracted an amount for the
slightly raised edge of the platform (I got 7 1/4 x 21 3/4").  I had a piece
of rubber-backed indoor/outdoor carpeting (NOT foam rubber backed, but just
a nonslip rubber backing) left over from lining the bottom of their cage and
cut this to size using a razor knife.  Of course, being a compulsive
surgeon, I used a framing square as a straightedge and cutting guide for
those perfect corners and straight edges (Martha couldn't have done this
step better!).

I then used a hot-melt glue gun like the kind used in crafts to glue the
carpet to the platforms going a section at a time and rolling the carpet
down with a soup can, making sure to glue the edges down securely.  I cut
out notches in the carpeting where the ladders would attach to the platforms
before I began applying the glue.

I let the glue "set up" for about 1 hour before replacing the platforms in
the ferrets' home.  Their reaction wasn't too noticeable, but it makes me
feel better when I don't hear the kids skidding out of control when they're
playing in their cage, plus I'm sure their floors are a little warmer.

The hot-melt glue is non-toxic, I believe.  Since the edges of the carpet
are well glued to the platforms, I dont' think the fuzzies will be able to
scratch if off the platforms (but never say NEVER).  I hope someone out
there in FML land can use this handy tip.  Feliz Navidad!

Chad and crew:
Jackson, Binky, & Possum