Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:43:00 CST
Donald - I have 40+ ferrets at our house and they are out all day and night
- I don't cage them unless it is necessary (medical, fussing, etc).  The
problem is making sure your home is ferret proofed which involves many
different things, such as keeping all chemicals, cleaning supplies out of
their reaches (I don't put anything in the bottom cabinets except extra
litter boxes and newspapers and litter), no holes in walls or around pipes
(course just cause there isn't a hole now doesn't mean there won't be
later...), pulling all furniture far enough away from walls so that a
curious or playing ferret won't get "trapped" behind or under, no reclining
or pull out chairs or sofas, and many more.  When we are home with our
little ones we can supervise but when we aren't they are left on their own
so it is our responsibility to guarantee no harm comes to them by being
aware of potential dangers.  Opening and closing doors is always a challenge
with free roaming ferrets, I find myself going in and out several times just
to make sure no one got out.  Looking down is a way of life for me and I
even do it out in public (they've trained me well).  Baseboards need to be
tight to the bottom of the cabinets - look for little toeholds that can
either trap a ferret or let them in but not large enough for your hand.
Maybe start with one securely positively ferret proof room (is there such a
thing?).

O.k. Bob I tried the jerky recipe, boy what a lot of work.  First I couldn't
get the meat cut thin enough or in long strips, then I didn't have a
dehydrator or drying trays.  Finally at 1 am it was finished so I stuck it
in a container for the morning treat.  Here's the response I received from
about 10 ferrets - sniff, sniff, looked up at me with those wide beautiful
bright eyes as if to say "What are we suppose to do with this, are you our
of your mind (why yes, but whats your point?)??!!  (sigh) Then Frisker bear
came up and thought it was the neatest treat!  I now have a lifetime supply
of jerky for Frisker bear.  Can't say I didn't try.

Hugs to all!  tle