From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:23:51 -0500
Finally, something that I can talk about with actual credentials to back me
up.  :-)

Take a look at the label on your laser pointer.  It should have an OSHA
"Class" rating.  A Class I laser is one which cannot emit hazardous light.
(Class I lasers don't even have to have labels, so if it doesn't, it's
probably I.) Class IIA means it's harmless as long as you don't stare
directly into it for more than 15 minutes.  With a Class II laser, it's weak
enough that if you happen to look into it, you'll blink and look away before
it does any lasting damage.  (Seeing funny purple spots for a few minutes
doesn't count.) Class IIIA and III are only hazardous if you look right into
the beam (or its direct reflection), not diffuse reflections (such as off a
piece of paper); and Class IV is a fire and skin hazard.

Of course, these classifications are based on human eye responsivity,
but still, I'd say that anything up to Class IIA or II ought to be
safe as long as you don't deliberately shine it into your pet's eyes.

--
- Pam "Laser Safety Goggles -- The Newest Fashion Trend" Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>