From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:58:34 EST
Re: Vets on the FML
I'm not sure if anyone has already brought up this point or not yet (the FML
is big and things can get missed), but our vet benefits from all the medical
info/suggestions posts in the FML since we give the FML to her.  She
appreciates the medical information a great deal since she has said the
journals often are slow to get information out on things.  She doesn't see a
lot of ferrets in the course of a year, but I would imagine seeing some of
the symptoms owners report and some possible reasons/courses of action
posted to the FML makes it almost like she sees more ferrets than she really
does.  The FML also gives her info on things like ECE which I'm sure is
ahead of the journals.

I want to give a great big thanks to all the vets who take the time and
effort to post here.  Many fuzzies, owners, and your colleagues have
benefited from your efforts.

Vaccination reactions:
We must have the luck, bad that is, when it comes to vaccinations.  All our
kiddos got their yearly checkup and first round of vaccinations.  They got
their canine distemper vaccinations.  Atlas reacted w/in 10 minutes.  A
pretty nasty reaction too.  We spent a couple hours at the vets' making sure
he was well enough to bring home.  He seems to have bounced back better than
Squirt did after his vaccination (rabies) reactions.  (Atlas was playing and
jumping in/out of the tub the very next day.) Two out of four....or 100% of
our boys have had a vaccination reaction.  Squirt won't get a rabies
vaccination this year since he reacted even after premedication last year.
We will have to, though, try Atlas next year with premedication.  Distemper
is 100% fatal to ferrets and that's not something I want to take a chance
with.

(If you are wondering, the vaccines used that were reacted to were Imrab
and Fervac.)

-kim, squirt (had to take time out of his world tour for his vet
appointment), pippi (shots - yuck!), atlas (shots - YIKES!), and hijinx
(ditto!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.