From:
"Theo v. Werkhoven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:32:31 +0100
Hai all,
I'v been reading the FML for some time now, and as I seem to have a problem
with my two demolition experts (Kira & Tasha: both albino, sisters, 4.5
months old) that I can't easily correct I thought maybe you can help me.

The problem is that they really Really REALLY want to get under my couch
which has an cotton upholstery but no legs.  So normally they can't crawl
under, except for the time about a week ago when I decided to vacuum
underneath.  I lifted the couch with one hand and tried to get rid of old
cobwebs with the other while my li'l darlings were sniffing at all those
nice new things they saw.  When I was done and lowered the couch (trying to
catch the beasties at the same time, don't ask how I managed...) they
immediately started to scratch at the front to get back under and they
haven't stopped since.

I've tried just about everything in the book; shouting, snapping my finger
against their mouths, lifting them by the neck-skin, spraying with water,
putting them back in their cage: they hate all those things but they keep
coming back for another bite and scratch at my couch!  The problem with
these punishments is that they just learn to hate me or my hands when I
overdo it.  I can't get 'em to associate scratching at that particular spot
with negative feelings but I worry that they start being scared of me.  And
I don't want that because I trust them 100% for myself and for others.
Anybody?

BTW: the hint I saw some time ago to take the cuties with me under the
shower to wash was a good one. They love it!! Drying is easy: I just
hold them in a towell with one hand and rub them (gently) with the other.

Ps.  It's hard to find anything about ferrets in Holland; no calenders, no
magazines, only two books worth reading and worst of all (I think): no
ferrotone.

There is a splendid foudation here that takes care of run-aways and
throw-aways.  Fortunately, because there are stupid human animals who
think that ferrets can survive outside in Holland aswell.

Greetings from cold-but-dry Holland.
Kira:  "Why is everything so high when I climbed up? Help!"
Tasha: "I can get under. I want to get under. I will get under.
        GET OUT OF MY WAY!"
Theo:  "I should do the dishes, and the laundry, and ... and ...
        but they are so cute to watch..."
--
  Theo v. Werkhoven
  Voorhout, Holland